Tuesday, May 14, 2013

To me as a child reading was not something that i was just able to do.  I hated reading with a firey passion because while everyone else could just pick up a book and start reading the wonderfull, enchanting storys encased within I could hardly read two words. A moment I will never forget is in kindergarten we had to do these reading tests. Your teacher would hand you a book that was on your level and you were supposed to read it making minimal error. When my teacher handed me a book I should have been able to read I couldnt read a word of it so she handed me an easier book. I couldnt read that one either so she handed me another even easier book, and i still couldnt read it. I started to cry because the look on her face was of utter confusion and i felt so bad about myself that I couldnt read like the other kids could. I couldn't read until around third grade. I started reading these Little Bill books that my one teacher had.  They were really simple but for me they were amazing because I understood what the word said rather than just guessing based off of the pictures. Once i was finally magically able to read, and i still dont know how I basically woke up one day and could do it, my parents had to rip books away from me. Most parents have to tell their children TO read but my parents had the opposite problem. For me I think it was all the hard moments of seeing everyone else enjoying books that I didnt understand without pictures that made the storys all the more wonderous. I loved the Harry Potter books and I once read the first two books in ond day because they were so enchanting. Between the two pieces of cardboard that made up the book, someone had managed to create this whole entire new world with walls that you could walk through, and magical wands that could turn a teacher into a cat. To this day its always one of the most shocking moment to get ripped out of a book by my mom yelling "Dinner!" or even just the end of a book. I always want to yell back not now mom, dont you understand what just happened?! How am i just supposed to carry on with my regular life after being captured by Hogwarts?! Just eat dinner at the dinner table when I just read about the great hall? I dont think so! I guess theres not really just one books that has great meaning to me, its more that magical moment when I could finally understand the wonder that everyone else experienced at the hands of a book.

2 comments:

  1. Oh god, the amount of love i have for harry potter is ridiculous. I don't understand how people can live aftre a book is over, you can never go back to how your life was before it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand the feeling of a book being over. Sometimes I actually wait to read the end because the idea of finishing is completely depressing. I feel like my whole world changes when I read a good book. Its like your a part of this world that no one else knows about. The image about the "emotional trauma at the hands of a paperback" is absoultely perfect.

    ReplyDelete